Roasted Tomato Basil Bisque and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches


I have never made tomato soup from scratch. Ever. My craving today for a cheesy gooey sandwich and the perfect soup to dip it in lead me to try it out and it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself! 
     I resorted to looking up a few recipes and with a combination of good ideas I found I came up with this version of a Tomato Basil Bisque. I roasted an assortment of tomatoes and used some Yukon gold potatoes for viscosity as opposed to any dairy. Believe me, it's creamy goodness. You won't miss the milk.
     

I started by preheating the oven to 425 degrees and arranged my tomatoes, garlic cloves, and a quartered yellow oven on a sheet pan. I tossed them with olive oil, salt and pepper then put them in the oven to roast for about 30 minutes.


I then got my potatoes and scallions sauteing in a pot with olive oil, salt and pepper. 


 Once they were good and browned, I added 1 tablespoon tomato paste, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, and 2 cans of vegetable broth.


Once the potatoes were completely softened, I used a slotted spoon to put them in a blender and pureed them and returned them to the pot. I then pulled the tomatoes, onion, and garlic from the oven and pureed them as well.



I used a hand mixer to get all the ingredients good and incorporated.


Finally, I added a large bunch of sliced fresh basil and turned the pot to a low simmer.
     Now, time for grilled cheese sandwiches! I used a hearty sourdough bread, sharp cheddar and Swiss cheeses. These sandwiches are really a no brainer so you can use your favorite bread and cheeses, just make sure to keep the heat at about medium-high and no hotter so that the bread doesn't burn before the cheese melts.



Well, there we have it! First time for everything so if you've never made tomato soup either be bold! Try my recipe!




Roasted Tomato Basil Bisque and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

Soup:
1 1/2 lbs. Assorted tomatoes, larger ones quartered
2 large Yukon gold potatoes, roughly chopped
1 head garlic, paper removed
1 small yellow onion, quartered
1 cup chopped scallions
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cans vegetable broth (a little over 3 cups)
Large bunch fresh basil, sliced
4-5 tablespoons olive oil

Sandwiches:
4 slices bread
6-8 slices cheese
Butter to grill bread

Soup:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Arrange tomatoes, garlic, and onion on a sheet pan and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in soup pot and add the potatoes and scallions. Season with salt and pepper. When potatoes get a little crusty and start sticking to the bottom, add the tomato paste, dried oregano, and broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until potatoes are very tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Using a slotted spoon, place potatoes into a blender and puree, then return to pot.
4. Remove tomatoes, garlic, and onion from oven and place into the blender, puree and place into soup pot. Stir to combine or use a hand mixer to save time.
5. Stir in basil and allow it to wilt and combine with the flavors.

Grilled Cheese Sandwiches:
1. Butter the bread on one side. Place in a large skillet face up over medium-high heat, probably one sandwich at a time so not to over crowd the pan. Top with cheese.
2. Once the bread is toasted and cheese melty, put the sandwiches together and spread a little more butter on bread and flip a few times to get a good buttery sheen on the sandwiches.
3. Dip in the soup and enjoy!

Comments